Does Home Insurance Cover Flood Damage?

Anything can happen to your home in Greenwood Lake, NY. Your goal is to make sure you have a home insurance policy that can cover virtually anything that might happen. Windermere Insurance agents can work with you to make sure that you have a reliable policy on your home.

A flood can happen when you least expect it. It may be as a result of a lake overflowing, the snow melting, or even as a result of a storm. If water comes racing into your home, it could destroy your home’s foundation, furniture, and various valuables.

Floods are generally not covered on a standard home policy. This means that if you don’t have any additional coverage, you would be financially responsible for the damages as well as the replacements. You don’t want to spend that this kind of money. The better solution is to protect your home in Greenwood Lake NY with a rider.

It’s possible to add flood protection to your home insurance policy. This way, if there is a flood, you will be protected. When you get your home insured for the first time, the insurance agent will also review to see if you’re in a FEMA-identified flood zone. If you are, you will be required to have some kind of flood insurance. Otherwise, it’s up to you as to whether you want to add it to your policy. Although it’s an added expense, it can be a wise investment so that you are protected if flood water comes toward your home.

Since you’re near the water, it’s always a good idea to be prepared for what could happen.

At Windermere Insurance, we’re here to help you. Our independent insurance agents can review your existing home insurance policy, make suggestions on how to improve it, and ensure that you have flood coverage in the event that the unthinkable happens.